"Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others,
as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms."
• 1 Peter 4:10 •

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Beginning

Welcome to Gracefully Gifted! I figure it only makes sense to start off by explaining what the heck 'Gracefully Gifted' is all about, so here goes...

My name is Aimee, and I'm one of those crazy people who always have 500 things going on at once - you know, the ridiculously uniquely dressed lady you see in the the grocery store who's responding to a client email on her smart phone while reading her shopping list, pulling items off the shelf and tossing them into her cart, and corralling her darling children who are running laps through the aisles nearly knocking the elderly shoppers over. Yep, that's me. I have a problem saying "no" to people, so not only am a wife, mom, friend, sister, and small business owner (actually, I own two: Libby Design and Red Letter Ink), but I also co-lead Women's Ministry at our church, sing on the worship team, help with marketing (did I mention I can't say no?), co-lead a small group bible study with some friends, help out filling in for people in Children's Church, etc. Oh, and then there are all those fun field trips/classroom projects where parent helpers are needed at the kids' schools...I sign up for them ALL. "What? There's no one to head up the Harvest Party?? Sure, I'll find a friend and we'll pull it all together!". And this past fall when the local school district was trying to push through an operating levy to maintain our wonderful schools, my dear husband lovingly nominated me to help him head up the community committee (the levy passed - yay us!). My latest endeavor has been helping head up a Special Olympics chapter in our area - SO excited about this one!! I forgot to mention that our oldest daughter has special needs and usually has 3-4 therapy appointments each week. I'm sure there's more, but my brain is malfunctioning so that's all I can think of right now.

Well now, I've decided it'd be good to have somewhere I can ramble and post my craftiness that I whip up in the wee hours of the morning all my free time (*snicker*). I was trying to think of a fun, catchy name and then it came to me...Gracefully Gifted. Besides my Mom (who is amazing and was often my partner in crime with craft projects), my Grandma Grace was always a huge supporter of my desire to make things. She taught myself and my 3 brothers how to crochet when we were itty bitty and that's something I've loved doing ever since. Grandma always made me feel like the gifts I made for her were EXACTLY what she had always wanted, and she did such a great job making me feel like a big shot interior designer. Her house was full of all my little crafty things my brothers and I made for her...a grapevine wreath I'd made, complete with a small piece of cardboard I'd sloppily written "WELCOME" on then glued to it - classy, and how about this custom embroidered gift I made JUST for Grandma - she framed it in this fancy schmancy frame and hung on her wall prominently displayed. This is one thing I was thrilled to have after Grandma passed away because even during her final days my little craft project from many years ago was hung sweetly on the wall for her to see.

The more I thought about a name for my blog, the more I liked it... Gracefully Gifted. Pretty cool that it's got Grandma's name in it, but it also speaks to the gifts God gives us. This verse about God-given gifts makes me smile every time I read it...


"Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms."  ~ 1 Peter 4:10

And so, I will use my gifts to serve others...which will more than likely often include craftiness!

0 comments:

Post a Comment